In 2013, Iowa NRCS obligated $3.8 million through 381 contract covering 175,346 acres. So don’t miss out on a chance at this great opportunity to make beneficial changes in soil health, soil erosion, water quality, water quantity, air quality, plant resources, animal resources, and energy. Submit your initial application to your local NRCS office by February 7th.
CSP is a voluntary conservation program that encourages producers, through financial incentives, to undertake additional conservation activities while improving, maintaining, and managing existing conservation activities. The program rewards higher performing conservation performance with higher payments. CSP contracts last for five years and can be renewed for an additional five-year contract term.
How To Apply:
1. Fill out three page NRCS-CPA-1200 application
2. Have access to your FSA farm record number and Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number
Once The Application Has Been Submitted:
1. Complete the Conservation Measurement Tool with local NRCS staff member with 45 days of submitting the application (the session usually lasts an hour or more)
2. A farm site visit will be conducted for on-farm verification by NRCS staff
3. Develop a CSP plan and contract for new enhancement implementation and payment (first annual payment will be made on or after October 1, 2014)
For more information contact your local NRCS office and check out the great resources created by the National Sustainable Agricultural Coalition: 2014 Conservation Program Sign Up Information Alert and Farmers’ Guide to the Conservation Stewardship Program.
Important: You can sign up anytime, but if you miss the cut-off you wait a full year for funding consideration.