Attend an ILF prairie strips field day

Neal_smith_beans_stripsPlan to attend an upcoming ILF field day that will focus on planting perennial prairie strips and cover crops. The field days are in partnership with the STRIPS project and the Iowa Cover Crop Working Group.

STRIPS is an acronym for Science-based Trials of Rowcrops Integrated with Prairie Strips, a research project at Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge near Prairie City. The project focuses on planting 10% of a field into strategically placed strips of perennial prairie into a corn-soybean field. The results are significant: soil leaving the field has been reduced by 90%, nitrogen leaving the field is reduced by up to 85%. The additional perks are increased habitat for pollinators and other wildlife.

Iowa farmers are now installing prairie strips on their own farmland to reap similar benefits. Three field days are scheduled for you to learn more about this conservation practice.

Make plans to attend one near you:

June 16, 5:30-7:30 pm
McNay Research and Demonstration Farm
45249 170th Ave., Chariton

June 18, 5:30-7:30 pm
Dick and Diana Sloan farm
3046 Harrison Ave., Rowley

June 23, 5:30-7:30 pm
Donna Buell farm
Southeast corner of Harvest Ave. and D15, northeast of Holstein

Farmers, landowners, and STRIPS project experts are scheduled to talk and answer questions.  Cover crop experts and farmers using them will be on the agenda as well.

Each field day wraps up with a complimentary meal and fellowship. All are free and open to the public, but we would like a count for meals. Contact ILF to let us know which field day you are attending and the number of guests, so we can ensure enough food for all: phone 515-294-8912 or email: ilf@iastate.edu.

Visit the STRIPS website for more information.

See you next week!

— Carol Brown

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s